amazing facts about our sun
The sun who is the embodiment of energy of entire solar system has a variety of amazing facts. Some of them are:
1.The average radius of the Sun is 695,508 km (109.2 x that of the Earth) .This means if a hollow Sun was filled up with spherical Earths then around 960,000 would fit inside. On the other hand if these Earths were squished inside with no wasted space then around 1,300,000 would fit inside. The Sun’s surface area is 11,990 times that of the Earth’s.
2. Sun contains 99.86% mass of the solar system. The mass of the Sun is approximately 330,000 times greater than that of Earth. It is almost three quarters Hydrogen, while most of the remaining mass is Helium.
3. At the Sun’s core, energy is generated by nuclear fusion, as Hydrogen converts to Helium. Because hot objects generally expand, the Sun would explode like a giant bomb if it weren’t for its enormous gravitational force. The temperature on the surface of the Sun is closer to 5,600 degrees Celsius. The temperature of its core is about 15 million degree celsius.
4. The Sun is all the colors mixed together, this appears white to our eyes.
5. According to scientists our sun is approx. 5 billion years old.
6. The sun will eventually engulf earth. When all its hydrogen has burnt , it will start consuming helium and will remain alive for 130 million years. During this time it will continue to expand and become so large that it will engulf Mercury, Venus and even Earth.
7. Like Earth Sun also revolves around the galaxy. It takes 224.7 million years to complete an year otherwise known as cosmic year.
8. Every day, plants convertsunlight into energyequivalent to six times theentire power consumptionof human civilization.
9.All of the world’s energy needs can be met with 1/10,000th of the light from the Sunthat falls on Earth each day, according to the inventor Ray Kurzweil.
10.A bolt of lightning is 5 times hotterthan the surface of the sun.
11. To our eyes, in space, thesun would appear white, not yellow.
12.If the Sun were the size of a beach ball in Space, then Jupiter would be the size of a golf balland the Earth would be as small as a pea.
13. 359 years after the Catholic Churchforced Galileo Galilei to recant his theory that the Earth moves around the Sun, it declared he was right in 1992.
14. The sun is the most perfectly roundnatural object known in the universe.
15. The core of the Sun has a temperature of about15,000,000 ° C(27,000,000° F).
16. In 1666, Isaac Newton observed the Sun’s light using a prism, and showed it is made up of light of many colors.
17.The American flagsplaced on the moon are now white due toradiation from the sun.
18.The Earth’s coreis about as hot as the sun.
19.Partial solar eclipses are hazardous to view because the eye’s pupil is not adapted to the unusually high visual contrast.
20. Looking at the Sun CanTrigger a Sneeze in 10 to 35% of people.