How is Reliance Jio providing free unlimited 4G data when other companies charge high?
Reliance Jio: The champion of Digital India or Analog India?
I must admit that I used to be euphoric over the Reliance Jio launch .. Additionally, thanks to the media hype, I at the beginning believed that it used to be a “innovative” provider for knowledge users like me who’re glued to the web all the time. However as the hours passed, reality started to sink in.
After some quick evaluation, i have come to the conclusion that it’s not for knowledge customers lke me who’re continually browsing the internet, however rather, it’s absolutely for many who are continually chattering.
Let me soak up probably the most hyped up highlights & are trying to explain why it does not convince me to make a change.
1) First & major, it’s portrayed as the messiah for knowledge customers. All the news channels had been highlighting that the data costs on Reliance Jio is as little as Rs 50/GB. This is surely enormously deceptive on account that that low cost of Rs 50/GB can be applicable most effective while you purchase the excessive finish monthly percent of Rs four,999 per 30 days!! In that p.C., you get around 75 GB which roughly interprets to Rs 50/GB. However in a typical % like Rs 499 per 30 days, you get only four GB, which translates to around Rs 100/GB. And if you consider the Rs 19 percent which offers one hundred MB, it translates to around Rs a hundred ninety/GB.
2) in the entry level bundle of Rs 149 per month, although you get limitless voice calls (which is incredibly preferred), you get only 300 MB of information. So, it is most likely no longer for a data consumer like me, but for anybody who hardly ever makes use of web, and wishes unlimited calling.
3) The Rs 19/day p.C. Is marketed as a chota percent which is able to cater to casual users who want to browse internet on a necessity foundation. However there may be nothing revolutionary about it considering the fact that it presents simplest one hundred MB for Rs 19 & the validity is 1 day. Think i’m on the Rs 149/month percent and i exhaust my 300 MB inside few days and one great day I wish to publication an Ola cab or watch a 1 min YouTube video, then I ought to shell out at least Rs 19. (there’s no % smaller than that). But if i’m on Airtel/concept/Vodafone, i will go for his or her Rs 9 percent and get 35 MB. I.E as a substitute of spending Rs 19 on Reliance Jio to e-book an Ola cab, i will be able to recharge Rs 9 on Airtel & get the work achieved. Additionally, it’s to be noted that Airtel/thought offer 100 MB of 4G data for Rs 24 which has a validity of 3 days, which I feel is a lot better than Jio’s a hundred MB of 4G knowledge for Rs 19 which has a validity of 1 day.
Four) As defined above, the Rs 149/month p.C. Makes no sense for knowledge customers on the grounds that it gives most effective 300 MB. The following percent is the Rs 499/month p.C. Which has four GB of data (along with the default unlimited calling feature). Considering limitless calling is available in both the Rs 149 p.C. As good as Rs 499 p.C., then the only difference is that the 499 p.C. Offers you further 3.7 GB of knowledge at another rate of Rs 350.
=> Rs 350 for three.7 GB? Sorry, not convincing. Your own brother Anil Ambani has been delivering 10 GB of information for not up to Rs four hundred. Sure, I agree that while they are providing 3G, you’re delivering 4G, but on the finish of the day, the total data remains the identical.
5) Let me absorb the next percent. Rs 999. I get 10 GB of knowledge (together with the default limitless calling function).
Compared to the Rs 149 % which already has limitless calling feature, what I get on this % is conveniently 9.7 GB of data for Rs 850.
I’m not impressed seeing that if I spend a bit additional, i will get limitless 3G from BSNL. Sure, unlimited 3G via BSNL for Rs 1099.
BSNL offers unlimited 3G plan for Rs 1,099, doubles data limit for existing plans – instances of India
6) Now that i have seen how even the Rs 999 percent fails to impress me, as a result of a lot better providing from BSNL. Why should I pay Rs 999 to Reliance for 10 GB knowledge, when BSNL is delivering me unlimited knowledge for
What’s my conclusion in the end?
For a data person, Reliance Jio isn’t spectacular. If the usage is more than 1 GB per month, then the Rs 149 percent should not even be viewed on the grounds that it has handiest 300 MB. In the next percent, Jio presents four GB data for Rs 499 which isn’t innovative, however due to the fact it says night time is limitless, I consider it can be called “evolutionary”. But nonetheless that is not such a pleasant incentive to modify.
In the subsequent plan which costs Rs 999, it offers simplest 10 GB, whereas BSNL offers me limitless information for almost the same rate.
That is about my personal necessities. Now let’s look at the overall improvement for the lots.
The only main talents for the masses is the unlimited voice calling which may also be availed for Rs 149 per 30 days. In brand new state of affairs, many of the cellular users, especially among the many working class, are definitely prepaid customers with free lifetime validity connections, upon which they probably recharge Rs 20-30 which generally lasts for virtually a month for them. For example, I in my view know many taxi drivers, vegetable vendors, mechanics and so on who rarely make outgoing calls. Although they make an outgoing name, it would not last for more than a minute. Such individuals tend to use handiest Rs 30-50 talktime monthly, for which best Rs 50 topup recharge is sufficient. (Such recharges have limitless validity).
Now, in the event that they ought to go for Jio simply due to the fact that the free voice calling is tempting, then it manner they ought to shell out Rs 149, which lapses after 28 days (It has 28 days validity), after which they have got to once more recharge Rs 149 etc. For any individual who’s used to topup of Rs 20-30 per thirty days (and that too on a necessity basis), one of these necessary fee of Rs 149/month sounds very high-priced. That interprets to round 149*12 = Rs 1800 every year, compared to their current dependancy of regular topups which might come as much as a complete of simply 20*12 = Rs 240 every year which is enough for his or her realistic purposes.
That is a whopping 6 instances bigger, only for unlimited voice calling, whether or not you particularly do limitless calling or now not.
So, as we will see, the only upside is limitless voice, and no longer information. Even the unlimited voice for Rs 149 sounds excessive for almost all who’re completely satisfied with their Rs 20-30 topup as soon as in each 20-30 days.
Consequently, it’s difficult to categorize Reliance Jio as a revolutionary knowledge carrier, however it may be a excellent voice carrier if one is into chattering most likely for 1 hour outgoing name day-to-day.
Now that we’ve got realized that the Jio plans are not revolutionary, can we atleast name it evolutionary? No longer quite. Through claiming itself as a route for Digital India & furnish web to the masses, it could in reality emerge as becoming general just for its unlimited voice, and on account that voice services are viewed “backward”, it is surely not evolutionary.
This fashion, Jio, according to my evaluation is chalking out the imaginative and prescient of “Analog India” (voice), however no longer “Digital India” (knowledge).